Sunday, December 13, 2009

Juno Beach Ocean, 3:00 PM, December 1, 2009


This drawing was prepared using the layered rub and blend technique that most pastel artists use. It is totally different from my usual mark making technique. Ordinarily I do not allow myself to rub, blend or smear. However, this time I am teaching a course that surveys pastel history and technique. The logical place to start was the standard/norm as opposed to myself. So, I built the layers gradually starting with a light layer of medium color, and I took photographs through the total process so I can make a PowerPoint presentation now that the drawing is complete.

The work went much faster than it normally does, so I'm tempted to do more drawings by rubbing smearing and blending. I couldn't help but make some individual marks at the end of the process in order to create more detail. The texture (tooth) of the paper creates a similar look to the usual work, though the color is a bit more naked/grating than the more subtle gradations created when the pastel marks mix together without rubbing. Also, the final product doesn't have as hyper-realistic an appearance as I normally obtain.

2 comments:

Betsy Grant said...

You are so gifted John. I want to see more.

Anonymous A said...

I'm getting a swelled head, Betsy! No, actually the talents that we have as human beings are accidents of evolution, and gifts of God. God lends them to us while we are here on this earth, and it would be wasteful to ignore them even when most others do.